Are you interested in getting a California Real Estate License but do not reside in California? Here’s a guide for Out-of-State Applicants to obtain a California Real Estate License.

California has no reciprocity with any other state to allow a waiver of any of the requirements to obtain a license. This means a real estate license issued by another state does not qualify a broker or agent to practice real estate in California. However residency in the state is not a requirement to become licensed.

When applying for the real estate broker or salesperson examination, evidence of completion (i.e. transcripts) of the required education courses from out-of-state institutions is acceptable. The institutions must be accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or a comparable regional accrediting entity, and each course must consist of three semester units or four quarter units of credit.

Guide for Out-of-State Applicants to obtain a California Real Estate License


Courses completed through foreign institutions of higher learning must be evaluated by a foreign credentials evaluation service approved by CalBRE. For further information, see Examination Applicant Foreign Education Information (RE 223).

Applicants for a California real estate license must submit one set of classifiable fingerprints, acceptable to the State Department of Justice (DOJ).

Applicants who reside outside of California must submit their fingerprints directly to the CalBRE. A fingerprint card (FBI Applicant FD-258 Rev 3/10) will be provided to all out-of-state applicants with the original license application. It should be taken to a local law enforcement agency for completion. The appropriate fingerprint fee must be submitted to the CalBRE with the completed fingerprint card, original license application, and license fee.

When applying for an original or renewal license, out-of-state residents must file a Consent to Service of Process (RE 234) with CalBRE. This form must be completed, signed, notarized, and submitted with the original or renewal application.

Brokers must maintain a California business address if engaging in business in California. If not engaging in business in California, brokers must also file an Out-of-State Broker Acknowledgment (RE 235).

New legislation may make some information in this blog out of date. Current information is in the online version of Instructions to License Applicants found on the CalBRE website,